Sunday, August 16, 2009

Gratitude for Liberals

I am grateful for liberals. Mind you, I still think they are wrong on most matters, but I am nonetheless grateful. Why?

Every political movement needs a moderating influence. That is the problem with dictatorships and authoritarian regimes throughout history. That is the problem with the Obama administration because they seem to want to criminalize the opposition. We hear the President telling the opposition to "shut up". Those tendencies are classic Chicago, gangster-style politics as has been practiced in the Windy City since the 1800s.

Unlike most liberals, I love hearing the opposition's voice. If it weren't for liberals I doubt conservatives would have ever given much effort on the environment, the under class, the peace movement. While I am convinced we have gone way beyond reasonable in most of these liberal areas, I am grateful for their voice because it is a voice that needs to be heard, and these were areas of our American lifestyle that needed to be addressed.

My difference with liberals is not on wanting to hear their voice - that is important. My difference with liberals has to do with when they are in power they have no respect for their opposition, like I have for them. A liberal would never write what I am writing - they just want the opposition to go away. Obama is just more open about it. Clinton tried to shut down the opposition with the "Fairness Doctrine". They too tried to criminalize oppostion. In this they were as dangerous as Obama. The difference is that Obama seems to want it more. Clinton's tendencies in this direction were dangerous, but he didn't push it. I'm not so sure about President Obama.

No comments:

Post a Comment